Symptom burden in PV can be severe. Some patients do not recognize their symptoms because they can develop gradually over time and can be dismissed as normal effects of advanced age, such as fatigue and inactivity.7 Thus, it is important for physicians to communicate with patients and carefully assess their symptoms.
The MPN10, formerly known as the Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Symptom Assessment Form Total Symptom Score (MPN-SAF TSS), is a validated (evaluated in a prospective study of 1433 patients and results correlated with other measures of disease burden) instrument designed to11
- Quantitatively assess the burden of symptoms in patients with MPNs
- Track disease progression and response to treatment, facilitating disease management
- Enhance the communication between physicians and patients
MPN10 WEB APP11
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, et al. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. 4th ed. Lyon, France: IARC Press; 2008.
- Rollison DE, Howlader N, Smith MT, et al. Epidemiology of myelodysplastic syndromes and chronic myeloproliferative disorders in the United States, 2001-2004, using data from the NAACCR and SEER programs. Blood. 2008;112(1):45-52.
- Stuart BJ, Viera AJ. Polycythemia vera. Am Fam Physician. 2004;69(9):2139-2144.
- Levine RL, Pardanani A, Tefferi A, Gilliland DG. Role of JAK2 in the pathogenesis and therapy of myeloproliferative disorders. Nat Rev Cancer. 2007;7(9):673-683.
- Landolfi R, Nicolazzi MA, Porfidia A, Di Gennaro L. Polycythemia vera. Intern Emerg Med. 2010;5(5):375-384.
- Passamonti F. How I treat polycythemia vera. Blood. 2012;120(2):275-284.
- Scherber R, Dueck AC, Johansson P, et al. The Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Symptom Assessment Form (MPN-SAF): international prospective validation and reliability trial in 402 patients. Blood. 2011;118(2):401-408.
- Falanga A, Marchetti M. Thrombotic disease in the myeloproliferative neoplasms. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2012;2012:571-581.
- Marchioli R, Finazzi G, Landolfi R, et al. Vascular and neoplastic risk in a large cohort of patients with polycythemia vera. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(10):2224-2232.
- Hasselbalch HC. The role of cytokines in the initiation and progression of myelofibrosis. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2013;24(2):133-145.
- Emanuel RM, Dueck AC, Geyer HL, et al. Myeloproliferative Neoplasm (MPN) Symptom Assessment Form Total Symptom Score: prospective international assessment of an abbreviated symptom burden scoring system among patients with MPNs. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(33):4098-4103.
- Silver RT, Chow W, Orazi A, Arles SP, Goldsmith SJ. Evaluation of WHO criteria for diagnosis of polycythemia vera: a prospective analysis. Blood. 2013;122(11):1881-1886.
- Tefferi A. Mutations galore in myeloproliferative neoplasms: would the real Spartacus please stand up? Leukemia. 2011;25(7):1059-1063.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Polycythemia vera facts. http://www.lls.org/content/nationalcontent/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/mpd/pdf/polycythemiavera.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2014.
- Marchioli R, Finazzi G, Specchia G, et al. Cardiovascular events and intensity of treatment in polycythemia vera. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(1):22-33.
- Mesa RA, Tefferi A. Emerging drugs for the therapy of primary and post essential thrombocythemia, post polycythemia vera myelofibrosis. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2009;14(3):471-479.
- Barbui T, Barosi G, Birgegard G, et al. Philadelphia-negative classical myeloproliferative neoplasms: critical concepts and management recommendations from European LeukemiaNet. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(6):761-770.
- Finazzi G, Barbui T. How I treat patients with polycythemia vera. Blood. 2007;109(12):5104-5111.
- Alvarez-Larrán A, Pereira A, Cervantes F, et al. Assessment and prognostic value of the European LeukemiaNet criteria for clinicohematologic response, resistance, and intolerance to hydroxyurea in polycythemia vera. Blood. 2012;119(6):1363-1369.
- Tefferi A, Rumi E, Finazzi G, et al. Survival and prognosis among 1545 patients with contemporary polycythemia vera: an international study. Leukemia. 2013;27:1874-1881.
- Tefferi A. Essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, and myelofibrosis: current management and the prospect of targeted therapy. Am J Hematol. 2008;83(6):491-497.
- Passamonti F, Rumi E, Pietra D, et al. A prospective study of 338 patients with polycythemia vera: the impact of JAK2 (V617F) allele burden and leukocytosis on fibrotic or leukemic disease transformation and vascular complications. Leukemia. 2010;24(9):1574-1579.
- Passamonti F, Rumi E, Caramella M, et al. A dynamic prognostic model to predict survival in post-polycythemia vera myelofibrosis. Blood. 2008;111(7):3383-3387.